My Process

My process for this project was trial and error.  This project was difficult for me. 

As a result my image combinations went though many revisions.  I kept getting stuck trying to making the combinations look good, and to fit together like they would in normal everyday life instead of looking abstract or abnormal.  

What I learned

I discovered that I'm not very comfortable thinking 'out side of the box.' This way of looking at things is very difficult for me and does not come naturally.

I did enjoy the Photoshop portion of this project, I've certainly reinforced my "pen tool" ability.  I also learned a ton on how to enhance my images using Photoshop Levels and curves.

Creative Process / Revisions

To start, I wanted to use my niece as the 'person'.  I had some pictures of daisies that I thought I would to use as the 'thing'.  As a result in several of my earliest revisions, these two images reappear again and again.

It was however, very difficult for me to transition from creating a setting that was "realistic" to "surreal." (As noted above) Eventually I found a picture I took last year the Art Institute of Chicago of a very cool stairway, and thought I should incorporate this image in some way. 

When I look at my final image it reminds me of something I might dream about. It bring up memories of perhaps a children's book like  'Alice in Wonderland' or 'Jack and the Beanstalk'.  

Below I show a few of my project revisions - there were too many to show here, but I selected a few of my "stages" to show you all .....