Truth be told I am an analog girl in a digital world. And I am more uncomfortable now then I've ever been being a photographer.

I am happiest behind my beat up 35mm camera or in the

darkroom with the music blaring. I love to play with light, shadows, contrast and be creative because I can be "hands on" in the sense that I am physically handling the negatives, the photo paper, filters, cropping tools or when I am at an enlarger manipulating the size, emphasis, contrast.  I feel a sense of excitement the second I place my blank piece of photo paper into the developer, watching the photo slowly come into its own.  I love the smell of the chemicals, the thrill of printing a photograph-knowing that the photo will truly be one of a kind,  even the frustration of realizing I may need to re-shoot.  Why? Because it's REAL-no photo shop, no bells & whistles, just me, my film, the enlarger, filters & cropping tools. 

I seek the truth  because in life one is met with many

untruths, misconceptions and down right lies. I refuse to sensationalize any subject.  I capture a subject in it's purest form. For me the "sense of excitement the second I place my blank piece of photo paper into the developer, watching the photo slowly come into its own'' doesn't exist when using digital cameras & then manipulating the image with photo shop.

Ansel Adams created a  zone system as an aid for determining correct exposure & development times for achieving an optimal gradation of grey values. I admire his work not only because it is breath taking, but because he only used what was available and achieved great success.

Mac Adams photographs suggest a time sequence or narrative; he  combined unusual elements, played with light & shadows to produce photographs that were unique and caused the viewer to question what is real?

Can all of this be done in photo shop? Of course, but for me it's the process one goes through that excites me. The thought and careful planning, the time and often frustration that comes about when one has only oneself to count on.  For me, photo shop is instant gratification- where's the fun in that

Example Image